Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lemon Cheesecake Bars


Cookout was around the corner.. and I still couldn't think of anything to bake for it!
A cookout ain't the ordinary potbless.

This is the time when one's inner chef springs out.. and dishes out the finest speciality of one's own. This is also what we call the Sinners' Meeting, where I usually spend "before and after Cookout" burning my indulgence.

This time around I've decided to make something I've never tried before.
Something not as conventional as my muffins and brownies =P

So what I did was spend an hour searching the net for recipes!
And then I came across this Lemon Cheesecake Bars recipe which had loads of reviews about how scrumptious it was..

and there my indecisivness came to its end... and I decided to give it a try






::Recipe::

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) Evaporated Milk
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 1 cup sour cream
Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

COMBINE flour and powdered sugar in medium bowl.
Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until crumbly.
Press onto bottom and 1-inch up sides of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

BAKE for 25 minutes.

PLACE cream cheese, eggs, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, flour,
lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring in blender container; cover.
Blend until smooth. Pour into partially baked crust.

BAKE for additional 15 minutes or until set. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Spread sour cream over top; refrigerate. Cut into bars. Garnish as desired.




This recipe called for sour creamed -glazing and stores nearby had "Nil" !
Was panicking when mum told me we could make our own sour cream by leaving milk and vinegar to curl for 30 min.. So did that.. but after 30 min it was still watery and it was 2 hours before COOKOUT!
Stress level was rising... when mum gave another suggestion..
"Use Yoghurt. I heard its the same"
I was a little doubtful but had to give in due to time constraint.

Spreaded the yoghurt and left it to chill...
Fingers were crossed all the time till we sampled it during cookout itself.
and it was YUM!!
Really gooood! haha.. phew...and for a first attempt it really got my nerves cracking .( ya by now you would know that I stress out easily =P )

Even played around with the bars



The cross



The two sinners on Christ's sides.


See.. baking can be fun! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Hm... can take u in as a pastry chef ? haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. ya a pastry chef who can only follow recipes.. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok la.. i give u recipe n u do ok haha then i eat only =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. swt... im still learning ok lol...just normal la haha...

    ReplyDelete